Following the discussion about tendering, we are finding a further issue with long term evaluation consultancy where we have agreed a contract with a fixed end date related to a project duration and then (2 years in)  the project is extended and the assumption made (with no discussion) that consultants are free to continue to work with a project for a further 6 months with no additional fee!  The issue is not so much additional work (although inevitably this is likely) but more  the opportunity costs associated with not being available to do other work during the 6 month period without taking on associates and incurring more costs.

We think in future we will include a clause in the contract to say that in the event of the contract end date being extended this would incur additional costs.  Do any others have experience of this? And solutions?

Best

Sharon

Dr Sharon Goddard

Director, Oakmere Solutions Ltd