Hello, thanks to all who responded to this request.   Here are the responses:

Digital learning examples for ALES session Digital Learning on a Shoestring at The National Archives 16 November 2015

Hi Martin

I've been involved in a couple of projects with a company called iFlourish: Shepherd Wheel and the Museum of Mystery https://www.museumofmystery.org.uk/  http://www.iflourish.co.uk/some-of-our-work and one with Audiotrails: the Abbeydale Explorer app http://www.audiotrails.co.uk/abbeydale-explorer-app/ Both companies worked collaboratively with the museum teams to develop resources that I think work well for the intended audiences but it would be interesting to get feedback via your session.

Hope it goes well on Monday

Best regards

Pete

Pete Brown

Museum and gallery access, learning & interpretation

+44 (0)7811 693870

skype: petebrbrown58

petebrbrown.co.uk

Dear Martin,

Try: www.storiesofpeterborough.com . It’s developed in JQuery Mobile specifically for tablets, mobiles etc. but works fine on any platform.

Best wishes,

Richard

Richard Hunt

Archives and Collections Manager

Vivacity

Central Library

Broadway

Peterborough

PE1 1RX

Email: [log in to unmask]

Tel: 01733 864628

To find out more about Vivacity please go to: www.vivacity-peterborough.com

Hi Martin,

Some good ones (we think, we hope) from our edu outreach team - http://www.ncl.ac.uk/library/services/education-outreach/

Kind Regards-Ian

Ian Johnson

Head of Special Collections & Archives

Special Collections, Robinson Library

Newcastle University

Newcastle upon Tyne

NE2 4HQ

United Kingdom (+44 191) 208  7671

Good morning Martin,

How about having a look at the First World War Comics resources: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/library/services/education-outreach/thomas-baker-brown?

The work produced by the young people was put online as a celebration of the work they did here at the university with us and the comics artist, with the online ‘educational resources’ being just a selection of the materials we used during the workshop as we thought other teachers may want to try something similar with their students in the classroom. We have already identified some changes we wish to make to how they are presented to make them more useable in this different context but, before our web designers make these changes, it would be interesting to get some suggestions from others as to what else we could do to ensure that they do get used outside of our on-campus workshops.

Many thanks,

Gillian

Hi Martin

I am sure you know about the Samsung Digital Discovery Centre, but here’s the link to our website just in case http://www.britishmuseum.org/learning/samsung_centre.aspx

All best wishes

Susan

Susan Raikes

Head of Learning and National Partnerships

Learning and National Partnerships

T   (UK +44) 020 7323 8709

M  (UK +44) 07812 734587

The British Museum

Great Russell Street, London WC1B 3DG

britishmuseum.org

Hello Martin

Here are some resources which Northumberland Archives made as part of a couple of HLF projects they did a few years ago:  http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com/learning-zone/

Hope all is well with you.

Best wishes

Nicola

Nicola Bell

culture-evaluation-learning

T: 01830 540350

E: [log in to unmask]

W: www.nicolabell.co.uk

Hi Martin

Hope you are well – long time since we last met and spoke!

I thought that I would share with you two of my favourites – I wasn’t sure if you were looking specifically for those sites that have good learning resources mapped to curriculum or just resources that you can use for learning and teaching so went with the former as I am all for contextualisation!

Pre-Raphaelites learning resource

http://www.preraphaelites.org/

National Theatre

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/discover-more/teaching-resources

The First World War Poetry Archive

http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/

National Archives – of course!

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/education/

Best wishes

Virginia

Hi Martin

The resources on the Modern Records Centre site have been used by a number of other archives as well as Warwick students and schools. There is a wide range of resources developed for many modules, some on the website itself and others now word searchable and on Warwick Digital Collections. Lots of links….

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/library/mrc/studying/modules/

Thanks

Helen

Helen Ford

Archive Manager

Modern Records Centre

The University of Warwick

Coventry CV4 7AL

Tel. 024 7652 4494

Email: [log in to unmask]

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/library/mrc/

Hi Martin,

UCD’s digitisation project for and on behalf of their archives. A variety of collections here, many early Irish political materials but also folklore and architecture

http://digital.ucd.ie

http://www.ucd.ie/archives/

Regards

David

David Jennings BA, MSc

____________________________

Lecturer in Educational Technology

UCD Teaching and Learning

Newman Bldg (Rm F318)

UCD Dublin

+353 (0)1 7168552

Skype edavidj

www.ucd.ie/teaching

www.ucdoer.ie

http://bit.ly/DJOERmaterials

Hi Martin

I’m still very proud of this!!  But it is quite old now (2004, it was “born” in the same year as my daughter    ) .

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/palaeography/tutorial/

However it’s a TNA site, and I will be in your audience on Monday, so it might not be appropriate.

Best wishes

Phaedra

Phaedra Casey

Archivist

Brunel University London Archives

Kingston Lane

Uxbridge

Middlesex UB8 3PH

01895 267095

My usual hours of work are Mon – Thurs, 9am to 2.30pm.

Hello Martin

I work in the Education Service at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth and have recieved an e-mail from my colleague with regards a digital learning for archives day which you are holding. My colleague and I are currently working on a digital project on the First World War using the National Library and National Museum of Wales' collections.

We thought perhaps that you could use some examples of these digital resources which we have produced to discuss and review.  The resources we produce are launched on the Welsh Government website HWB which can be seen using the following link:

http://hwb.wales.gov.uk/Resources/browse?sort=recommendation&language=en&category=First%20World%20War:%20Education%20Project%20&tags=First%20World%20War:%20Education%20Project

Thank you

Bethan Hopkins Williams

Resources Manager (Secondary) - First World War Project

Education Service

National Library of Wales

Hi Martin,

With regard to your email below I work on a project at Tate called Archives and Access. This has been the digitisation of over 52,000 items of the Tate Archive which have been made available on the Tate website to browse alongside our collection. There are also associated volunteer and learning programmes which are part of the project as well as new functionality on the website for digital learning.

Further information about the project can be found here – http://www.tate.org.uk/about/projects/transforming-tate-britain-archives-access

If you would like any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,

Hannah

Hannah Vallis

Assistant Curator: Digital Learning, Archives & Access

020 7887 8939

Tate, Millbank, London, SW1P 4RG

Hi Martin

Not sure if this is the sort of thing you are looking for but we have this pre-visit film on our website which has proved massively popular with groups and might be something a little bit different for you to show your group.

https://camunivmuseums.wordpress.com/2015/02/06/preparing-for-your-school-visit-at-the-fitzwilliam-museum/

http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/dept/education/schoolscolleges/planyourvisit/

Little films like this seem a worthwhile investment to stimulate learning and conversations both at school and as part of a visit. Lots of potential!

All the Best

Kate

Good afternoon

Here is the link to my digital timeline of The Guernsey Evacuation to England of June 1940.

I used my real interviews with surviving evacuees and their wartime photographs to create it:

https://www.hstry.co/timelines/the-guernsey-evacuation-to-england-of-june-1940-an-overlooked-wartime-story

Gill

Gillian Mawson

Freelance historian

Derbyshire

My books can be found here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gillian-Mawson/e/B008MWQ0IE/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1434899867&sr=8-1

My evacuee community group blog is here:

https://guernseyevacuees.wordpress.com/community-project/

Hi Martin

I'm sure you've already looked at My Learning (?!) but we are currently working with the Yorkshire Archives Learning Network to create a suite of bite-size resources (WW1 theme) that link to the Arts Award 'Discover and Explore' levels. They are not all published yet, but you can see the ones that are at the bottom of this page:

http://www.mylearning.org/museums/yorkshire-archives-learning-network/

There are also the M&S Company Archive resources: http://www.mylearning.org/the-mands-company-archive/

Hope it all goes well.

Regards

Alison

Dear Martin,

I have been creating content for the Royal BC Museum’s new Learning Portal for the past couple of years. The Royal BC Museum in Victoria, BC Canada includes archives as well as a museum. There are plans to link some of the content in the Learning Portal to school curriculum and to continue to build more “pathways” but for now the focus is an easy to use, friendly place to explore the natural and human history of British Columbia through the collections at the Royal BC Museum.

http://learning.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/

I thought you might like to have a look as a possible example for your digital learning session.

Best wishes,

Liz.

Liz Crocker, BA, CRM Dip., CAHP

Salt Frog Creative

http://www.lizcrocker.ca

Hi Martin, just quickly -

A bit ‘the usual suspects’, and not specific to activity that we’ve funded (we’re trying to get a better central overview at the moment, as some of the most current knowledge sits with regional colleagues);

I think the Science Museum is truly great at engaging and educational online content:

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/online_science/games.aspx

The V&A also do some interesting stuff around games – I worked on this one, as I was on the planning group for the exhibition trough my recent role at the Crafts Council; quite playful, but actually I think it (especially Engraving Glass) imparts through oddly compelling frustration some important aspects of luxury and skill that are otherwise left in the abstract:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibitions/what-is-luxury/play-our-new-game-luxury-time

Also well-worn, but I do like Culture Street, though it could perhaps benefit from a slight visual update:

http://culturestreet.org.uk/activities

And Show.Me is a good aggregator of content and activities from elsewhere – check out the Horniman’s Bat Sense…!

http://www.show.me.uk/interactive_game/1030-batsense

Meanwhile, here are a couple that my colleague Sara Crofts has suggested – lower tech, but quite neat, segmented educational content.

http://www.understandingconservation.org/

http://lookingatbuildings.org.uk/index.html

I hope some of this is useful, have a great weekend, speak soon,

John

Martin Bazley

Digital heritage consultant

Martin Bazley & Associates