From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Emma Metcalfe
Sent: 18 November 2015 10:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Free Pitching/Being asked to work for free to 'pitch' for work

Hi everyone,

I know this subject has cropped up quite a bit in the past, but I can't find anything more recent than 2014. I've been sent a brief which requires doing some artwork to submit as part of a proposal with no guarantee of being chosen for the job. I know people talked about putting together some GEM guidance on writing briefs for freelancers, did that happen? Or can anyone recommend any up to date resources on the subject.

I've replied to the enquiry explaining why I don't normally do free pitching, because I think often these kind of briefs come about totally innocently, rather than people setting out to be unreasonable. But it would be useful if there was some conclusive guidance (particularly something from the heritage sphere) on the subject.

Many Thanks

Emma

Emma Metcalfe Illustration
www.emillustration.co.uk