Hi Chirag,

Local maxima are voxels that have a statistic higher than their neighbours (within a certain distance) without being the absolute largest within a cluster.

Consider this image of a mountain range for example: one peak is the tallest, but there are others that although smaller, are also high points in their surroundings.

All the best,

Anderson