Hi Julia,

It may not make much difference at the end: adding them as nuisance absorbs known effects (i.e., the other ICs) that otherwise would go into the residuals of the GLM of the 1st and 2nd stages. However, these residuals aren't used for the statistical inference using randomise later. The effect on the parameter estimates for these stages (i.e., subject-specific time courses and spatial maps) may be minimal given that the ICs are, as the name implies, independent. That said, adding these shouldn't hurt either.

All the best,

Anderson