Hi Taylor,

Unfortunately there is not much support for doing things with VTK files in FSL right now. This is one of the main reasons that the new-style vertex analysis was introduced; converting the shape deformations to scalars in a nifti file allows the use of all of FSL’s nifti-based tools.

If you want to do further computations of the VTK files, you will probably need to load them into Matlab or Python and do your calculations there. This is not as bad as it may sound - they are simple text files containing the locations of the vertices, the triangles and the values for all vertices (i.e. your p-values/F-stats).

As a possible alternative, I think FreeSurfer’s mris_convert will allow you to convert the VTK file to other mesh formats. I am not sure if there are any tools that will allow you to compute the statistics you are interested, but others on the list might know more.

Hope that helps,
Eelke