Hi Emma,

Apologies if my advice below is all very obvious -

It sounds like the student may have got addicted to one of those online multiplayer games. Most of those seem to be played at night UK time because that's when most players are online (many of them are based in the USA). Can the parents intervene to limit hours or set rules regarding computer use?

These types of games play into the difficulties of students on the spectrum because they have a lot of games or quests that need to be completed within a group of people in a time sensitive way. These are often happen at night and so if a student is on the spectrum, he may not feel able to sleep because he is breaking the "rules" of the game.

Also have you tried a more directed more of questioning in regards to the course? Perhaps there's a module or an aspect of it (such as writing of essays or attending lectures or coming in for meetings) which a student doesn't like?

I once had the following conversation with one of our students-

*        'Do you like sci-fi films?'

*        'No'

*        'Do you like action films?'

*        'No'

*        'Do you like films at all?'

*        'No'

*        'Do you like star wars films?'

*        'yes!'

Without meeting the student, I couldn't say is he was like this of course, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Kind regards

Spencer