Ugo, as another San Francisco resident I might suggest that there is a flip side to the argument as well;

In addition to the point made previously about unionized hotels in San Francisco (the hotels in Tampa, for example, were not unionized), San Francisco has much higher minimum wages than less-gentrified cities where the conference has previously been held ($13 / hour in 2016, rising to $15 / hour by 2018). Many states and cities - particularly in poorer / less gentrified areas - still have the Federal minimum wage of 7.25 USD/ hour (Tampa) - (it is $8.25 in Las Vegas).

The higher minumum wage may not cover the (extremely high) cost of living in San Francisco, but it does help alleviate some of the pressure. San Francicso and Boston also offer more robust health and civil rights benefits to workers / residents than many other cities (including LGBT discrimination protection) that should also be factored in.

Despite the overall wealth and expense of the Bay Area - many thousands of workers rely on the service economy to make ends meet - including no small number of students at one of the many area universities struggling with the (same) cost of living concerns.

I agree that holding the conference in a (much) less-expensive - and poorer host city such as Detroit or St. Louis would be an important symbolic gesture by AAG and would also diversify the conference experience. However - it would do little to alleviate the economic conditions of these cities other than to perhaps bring their structural economic issues closer to the surface of conference discourse. New Orleans, for example - a hugely popular conference host city - struggles deeply with the inequality between poverty wages of service workers at its hotels and the wealthier residents and visitors who enjoy the experience of that city.

Jason Luger
King's College London / National University of Singapore