*With apologies for cross-posting*

*St Mary’s University, PhilosophyRoyal Institute of Philosophy Public
Lecture*

*Techno-lust: engineering the heart's desire*

* Dr Kate Devlin Senior Lecturer in the Department of Computing Goldsmiths,
University of LondonThursday 19 November 2015 5.15-6.45pm followed by a
drinks reception*
Senior Common Room, St Mary’s University, Twickenham

* Abstract*
Sexual activity is central to our very existence; it shapes how we think,
how we act and how we live. With advances in technology come machines that
may one day think independently. What will happen to us when we form close
relationships with these intelligent systems? Robotic intimacy is becoming
part of our social fabric and we need to
investigate these new opportunities and examine the long-term implications
of sharing the world with non-human beings. From the fetishisation of
technology to its influence in reshaping our identities, it’s time to
examine our relationships with the machines that will someday care for us
and about us.

*About the Speaker*

Kate Devlin is Senior Lecturer in the Department of Computing at
Goldsmiths, University of London. She is the current Treasurer of the UK’s
Society for the Study of Artificial Intelligence and Simulation of
Behaviour (AISB), and is on the steering committee of the European Society
for Cognitive Systems.

Registration

All lectures are free and open to the public without registration. Lectures
start at 5.15pm and last for 50 minutes, with 40 minutes for questions.
This is then followed by a wine reception.

*Venue *

Senior Common Room, St Mary’s University, Waldegrave Road, Strawberry Hill,
Twickenham TW1 4SX

Directions to the University can be found at
http://www.stmarys.ac.uk/contact/

Information about previous lectures can be found here:
https://stmarysphilosophy.wordpress.com

*For further information please contact: *Dr Yasemin J. Erden –