The MRC format historically had no internal mechanism for distinguishing between 2D stacks and 3D volumes. The current version (EMAN2.12) will distinguish between the two based on filename. Files with .mrcs extension will be treated as stack files, and files with any other extension interpreted as MRC will be treated as 3D (if they are volumes). The trick you used with --threed2twod will also work, but is no longer the preferred mechanism.  ".mrcs" files can be used as a 2-D stack with any EMAN2 program, not just e2proc2d.
Steven Ludtke, Ph.D.
Professor, Dept. of Biochemistry and Mol. Biol.                Those who do
Co-Director National Center For Macromolecular Imaging            ARE
Baylor College of Medicine                                     The converse
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]               also applies
http://ncmi.bcm.edu/~stevel