Hi Jonathan

I think you are getting close in your analysis but still not quite there.  You have to remember that the Fourier coefficient in the density equation is not the measured amplitude Fo but a weighted term to take account of the errors, i.e. 2mFo-DFc for acentrics, or mFo for centrics.  Also it's not true that a zero value for F is very likely to be wrong.  The Wilson distribution for an acentric F peaks at F=0, so for the prior at least, zero is the most likely value!  After you have actually measured F the posterior estimate will change by an amount which depends on the relative magnitude of the experimental error, so in the case that the error is large the posterior estimate may also likely be very close to zero.

You have remember too that the structure factor is a complex number, so you have to consider the value in the complex plane, i.e. taking account of the phase, not the amplitude.  Finally the refinement program will automatically down-weight low quality data via the m and D terms, so even if the amplitude isn't zero the Fourier coefficient may well end up being zero, or as near zero as makes no difference to the map (or indeed to the refinement).

Also I would take issue with your definition of 'resolution'.  Actually it has a very clear definition: it's the minimum distinguishable separation of peaks in the map.  One could also talk about the resolution of a diffraction image as being the smallest separation of spots that is clearly distinguishable, which will depend on the spot size and indirectly on the mosaicity and the beam divergence.  In powder diffraction 'resolution' is used in the same way to refer to the minimum distinguishable separation of powder lines which depends largely on the focusing of the source, i.e. nothing whatsoever to do with the meaning of resolution used in MX!

As such, resolution is a variable as a function of position in the image, not a constant for a given dataset (so the resolution is very low in the solvent region, high in the well-ordered regions of the macromolecule and intermediate in the less-ordered regions, depending on the degree of order).  This is a standard definition of resolution (or 'resolving power') used by anyone doing any kind of image processing (e.g. electron microscopy and astronomy).

What most MX crystallographers now call 'resolution' was called from the very early days of crystallography (as small-molecule crystallographers indeed still do) 'minimum d-spacing' (d_min), which is a constant for a given dataset and which has only a very tenuous relationship with the resolution - particularly if the data at low d-spacing are very poor!

Cheers

-- Ian