PhD student

MSB Div, CSIR-CDRI

Lucknow, India

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 1:42 AM, Graeme Winter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
HI Ed

Rmerge is probably the number which would tell a reader that the experimenter adopted a very sensible high redundancy / low dose protocol - just reporting Rpim etc. hides this though tells you other things, which could change the interpretation of the data.

I have data with Rmerge > 1000% in the outer shell, yet I am happy to defend it as "true" and yes this is high redundancy low dose data.

Cheerio Graeme

-----Original Message-----
From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Edward A. Berry
Sent: 16 November 2015 04:07
To: ccp4bb
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] NSMB Still Has Rmerge?

I had the impression from the original post (but I may be wrong) that the problem was rmerge being present in the template supplied by the journal, i.e. something they expect everyone to report.

This is of special concern with respect to recently discussed trends in data collection with zero-background detectors. It may be the case that only the total photons is important, but I expect it is the photons per frame that determines Rmerge. If one collects high redundancy low-dose data the Rmerge should go through the (conventional reviewer's) roof. Not because of high redundancy, which contributes at most a factor of sqr(2) and makes the estimate more correct anyway, but because of the low dose per frame. Scalepack users will then look at chi^2 and say yes, 0.25 seems pretty high for Rmerge in the lowest shell, but chi^2 is right around 1 in every shell, so the high Rmerge is due to "weak data" and not wrong space group or beamline problems.  But Rpim shows the final merged data is not weak.
eab