Dear all

I have been trying to crystallize an 11 kDa protein. After few days
(approx. a week) of setting up the crystallization, some gel-like or oily
appearance (see attachment) is observed. Even after a couple of month or
more, these oily appearance persists and does not lead to any crystal
formation. The buffer conditions in which this kind of appearance occurs
mostly contain one common chemical i.e. Sodium acetate trihydrate.

I have tried changing the pH of the buffer and also the temperature
conditions, however, I have not observed any difference.

What else can I do? Please help.

Thank you!
Prerana