After Paris attacks: Islamophobia, Civil Liberties and the Extremism bill

1. Public meeting: After Paris Attacks: Islamophobia, Civil Liberties and the Extremism Bill 7pm Thur 26 November, Parliament
2. After the Paris horror: Do not let the racists divide us. 7.30pm Mon 23 Nov University of East London
3. Racism out of the referendum: Farage not welcome in London  6.30pm Friday 20 November Emmanuel Centre Westminster
 4. Donate to Stand Up To Racism
The work of Stand up to racism is only possible thanks to the contribution of its supporters. Please support us and help us to continue our important campaigning work: Click here to donate
Click here to read Morning Star Article by Sabby Dhalu - 'A Knee-jerk response is the last thing we need'
Click here to read our statement : 'Stand up to murderous attacks but also racism and Islamophobia against Muslims'

1. After Paris Attacks: Islamophobia, Civil Liberties and the Extremism Bill

Public Meeting: 7pm Thursday 26 November Committee Room 10 House of Commons SW1A 0AA Nearest Tube: Westminster

Speakers:

Maz Saleem, Daughter of the late Mohammed Saleem
Aman Ali, MEND Community Development & Engagement Team
Sabby Dhalu & Weyman Bennett, Stand up to racism organisers

Further speakers TBC

Following the horrific attacks in Paris and Beirut we must urgently challenge racism and Islamophobia unleashed as a result of this. Already there have been numerous violent Islamophobic attacks in Britain since the Paris attacks, mainly on Muslim women. This is on top of concerns about a rise in Islamophobic hate crimes before the Paris attacks occurred.

Another response to such attacks is a clampdown on civil liberties by the state, the latest attempt is in the form of the proposed Extremism Bill. This is mainly directed at the Muslim communities for whom David Cameron has already said obeying the law will not be taken as proof of rejection of 'extremism'. Moreover the loose definition of “extremism” means all those on the centre-left and left that disagree with government policy could be targeted. The Extremism Bill is in addition to the Counter-Terrorism and Security Act that includes measures such as imposing a legal duty on schools and other education institutions to implement Prevent, leaving innocent young children and their families feeling persecuted.

This public meeting has been called to discuss the concerns of the Muslim population, act against hate crime, the impact of Prevent and the Counter-Terrorism and Security Act, the implications of the forthcoming Extremism Bill and to challenge the narrative used by those like ISIL and Al Qaeda rather than feed it.

2. After the Paris horror: Do not let the racists divide us. 7.30pm Mon 23 Nov 19:30 @ UEL

Moazzam Begg ex Guantanamo Detainee
Malia Bouattia NUS Black Students Officer
Weyman Bennett Stand Up To Racism Organiser / Unite Against Fascism National Secretary
Sufyan Ismail Founder, MEND (Muslim Engagement and Development)

Organisers : Newham Stand Up to Racism and Newham MEND (Muslim engagement and Development) for Islamophobia Awareness Month.

We believe that after the horror in Paris, this meeting is as important as ever.  First, our sympathies go out to the victims in Paris, to their families and friends.  But it is vital now that we do not let racism divide our communities. In the Muslim community there is genuine fear and apprehension of a backlash, of being seen once again as suspect:
Over the last year Islamophobic attacks in London have risen by 70%. Over 90% of press coverage relating to Muslims and Islam is negative. Some 61% of Britons now believe Islam is incompatible with British culture; 44% believe there are too many Muslims in the UK.

Government 'counter extremism' legislation has fuelled this prejudice and threatens the civi liberties of us all. It does nothing to address the real roots of terror. There is a real danger now that further draconian legislation will be rushed through that targets Muslims and attacks legitimate free expression.

The East End has a proud tradition of uniting against prejudice, racism and attacks on liberty. We need to stand together now and not allow our community to be divided. After Paris, even more than ever.

3. Racism out of the referendum: Farage not welcome in London 6.30pm Friday 20 November Emmanuel Centre
9 Marsham St, London SW1P 3DS

Called by Stand up to UKIP

UKIP Leader Nigel Farage used a speech this week in the aftermath of the Paris attacks to claim British Muslims had a 'split loyalty' between their country and elements of their faith. This has been slammed by Shadow Home Secretary Yvette Cooper who accused Farage of 'playing into the hands of extremists'. Farage plans to speak in London this Friday (20 Nov) as part of his 'Say No To EU' tour. Farage will use the rally to ramp up racist scapegoating of migrants and refugees at a time when they need our solidarity.

Whether you are in favour of leaving the EU, want to stay in or have not made your mind up yet join us at the protest to say racism out the referendum and don’t let the likes of Farage divide us.

4. Donate to Stand Up To Racism
The work of Stand up to racism is only possible thanks to the contribution of its supporters. Please support us and help us to continue our important campaigning work: Click here to donate

We are the majority and
we will stand up to racism.

standuptoracism.org.uk
Facebook: ‘Stand Up To Racism’
Twitter: @AntiRacismDay

 To unsubscribe reply this email with that word in the subject