Kendra - just to add to Julian's recommendations, I have had good luck getting the equipment he recommends second hand on ebay and other internet sites that sell used scientific equipment. Prices are a fraction of new, and the microscope makers he recommends have good optics in models several decades old. A personal note on the fibre-optic goose neck lamps - mine recently blew a bulb but I got a replacement for under twenty dollars Canadian within a week. They use projector bulbs, although stronger than the one in my old slide projector - I checked. Much safer than the incandescent lamps that get very hot.