Hi everyone,

It’s great to hear some of you are finding our online reporting system a useful template.  For those of you who don’t know anything about it, here's a brief overview.

The online reporting system allows staff and students to report something anonymously or get support from one of our trained harassment advisors.  It does not replace the formal process of making a complaint through our Dignity at Work and Study Policy it just allows staff or students who would like to raise an issue and speak to an advisor confidentially to access that support.  Ideally we'd like everyone to feel comfortable reporting an issue and getting the right support and hopefully our We Get It zero tolerance to bullying, harassment, sexual harassment and discrimination campaign will support that.

The anonymous element of the reporting tool is to allow people, who otherwise wouldn't do so to raise something.  We do make it clear that we cannot follow up individual issues raised, however we do monitor for themes and where possible informally look into things.  An example of this could be a report suggests contractors on site have been making inappropriate sexist or racist comments.  Whilst we cannot investigate this formally we can have a conversation with the contractors and remind them of our policy in this area.

We have had it for 12 months now and will be reviewing it this month with a view to producing a short report on how things have gone and what we can improve.  What we do know already is that a lot more staff and students are using the harassment advisor service because we have made it much more accessible to them.

Here is a link to our social responsibility site that introduces the campaign and links to the online reporting tool.  http://www.socialresponsibility.manchester.ac.uk/strategic-priorities/responsible-processes/we-get-it/

I have spoken with a few colleagues separately about our report and support tool and our We Get It Campaign, as have my other colleagues, and we're happy to answer more questions if you have them / share information.   If you could direct all enquiries to [log in to unmask]   we’ll try and respond to everyone as a group.

Best Wishes

Cath Prescott l Equality and Diversity Advisor l Equality and Diversity l G.029 John Owens l The University of Manchester l Oxford Road l Manchester,M13 9PL l Tel +44 (0) 161 306 5856  l [log in to unmask]