Dear Peter and Rita,

Thanks for the advice. I read the paper and there is enough evidence to consider model slice-timing a big issue in task-based fMRI studies (specially for distanced antero-posterior networks such as the DMN). I am working with data of rsfMRI on mice, with a relatively low TR (1.2s) running through 24 interleaved coronal slices (caudal-rostral direction of acquisition), without slice timing pre-processing steps. Even though this is a small TR, slice timing should be included. I will try with the TR/2 default and also with the anatomically informed delays and let you know if I get any differences. Any recommendations on how to do this systematically (as I have a 4-node network).

There is an article (Wu, et al., 2011) which suggests that rsfMRI signal fluctuation indices (functional conn., ALFFs, and fALFFs) are minimally affected by slice-timing (in the pre-processing). Please correct me if I am wrong, but I consider that when working with generative models of signal features (DCM of cross-spectra) and making inferences on effective connectivity, time-delays play a crucial role in causality.

Rita, I would greatly appreciate the script and give it a try. Thanks a lot for your help, and hope to soon inform you on the findings.

Best regards,

Daniel Gutierrez Barragan, PhD Student
Center for Neuroscience and Cognitive Systems (CIMeC)
Italian Institute of Technology (IIT)
University of Trento
Rovereto (TN): Palazzo Fedrigotti - corso Bettini 31

Thanks Rita,

That’s very good advice. If you try this Daniel, do let us know if there’s much difference in your parameters / model evidence.

Best,