Dear Ming,

The mean of the time series at each voxel is soaked up by the last regressor in the design matrix, the column of 1's.

All the best, W

From: Ming Teng <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 06 October 2015 03:05
To: Penny, William
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SPM] A question on slice or subvolume

Dear Will,

Thanks for the answer. I also have a question on high-pass filter and would greatly appreciate if you or somebody else can answer that.

When analyzing the face-repetition dataset in your 2005 paper, it's said that "each time series was then high-pass filtered using a set of discrete cosine basis functions with a filter cut-off of 128s". In my understanding, high pass filter will remove the mean of the time series as well, resulting a mean 0 time series. But when I try this in SPM, only low-frequency signal drift is removed, the mean still remains. Would you mind telling me if there's any step that remove the mean of the signal as well, or if there's additional hyper-parameters introduced that estimates the mean of the time series as well?

Many thanks,
Ming