To get a sense of this relationship, make a plot of Y=a*x+b*x^2. As you will see, you have a linear and quadratic component.

Best Regards,
Donald McLaren, PhD

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 4:40 AM, fMRI <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Many thanks Donald,

Ok this makes sense now to me. However how about having the same voxel being significant in the linear term as well as the quadratic one even when looking at them individually (ie performinga t test at the linear regressor only and another one at the quadratic regressors only). This also even when the regressors are orthogonal ?

Kind regards

Aser