See below.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 2:33 PM, Mike <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi SPM experts,
>
> This question has puzzled me for a while and I hope some experts could
> help.
>
> In my experiment, I have one decision task (i.e. D). I want to identify
> neural correlates related to D. A hypothesis suggest that if a brain region
> is related to decision, its activity should covary with task difficulty. So
> I designed 2 types of difficulty levels (each repeated for 20 times) and
> collected data from 20 subjects. Behavioral data showed that subjects did
> report significantly different difficulty ratings for the 2 types of task
> levels. Below is the proposed three methods to isolate decision-related
> regions:
>
> Method (1): Subject's first-level model contained 1 EV representing D
> epoch. Each subject has an average difficulty score obtained from the mean
> of the 2 levels. In group-level model, I perform a regression analysis
> using each subject's average difficulty score as a covariate.
>
> Method (2): Subject's first-level model contained 2 EVs corresponding to
> the 2 difficulty conditions of D epoch. In contrast manager, I used "-1 1"
> to identify activity related to task difficulty in each subject. Finally,
> in group-level model, one-sample t-test was performed.
>
> Method (3): Subject's first-level model contained 1 EV representing D
> epoch. In the first-level model, I entered each trial's difficulty rating
> in "parametric modulations" under "condition" (i.e., 40 numbers were
> entered in this EV; 1st order modulation selected). In contrast manager, I
> used "1", which I think would identify activity correlated with
> trial-by-trial task difficulty. Finally, in group-level model, one-sample
> t-test was performed.
>
> Question 1: Which method is correct or better?

It depends on your hypothesis. If you want to know how difficulty
correlates with activity, then #1 or #3 would be better. If you want to
know what areas are significantly different for easy and hard trials, then
#2 would be better. I would probably avoid #3 as I'm not sure how accurate
the subject will be for identifying the difficulty of individual trials. As
you designed your experiment with 2 levels, I would probably select model
#2.

> Question 2: If I did not design 2 or more levels of task difficulty (i.e.,
> with only one type of task), can I still identify neural correlates related
> to decision, based on the hypothesis mentioned above? I mean, even though
> the design has just one difficulty level, different difficulty ratings
> could be reported across subjects. Then I use Methods (1) and (3) to get
> the neural correlates.

Yes. You could do this. From the way you phrased this, it sounds like model
#1 would be better suited for the question.