Hi Sarah

In addition to Liz’s sensible suggestions, there are some useful (free)
publications available from the (US) Council on Library and Information
Resources, e.g.,

*Participatory design in academic libraries: New reports and findings*
(February
2014) - looks at how staff at eight academic institutions gained new
insight about how students and faculty use their libraries, and how the
staff are using these findings to improve library technologies, space, and
services. Available at http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub161

+ a useful overview article by Karen Latimer, chair of the (UK) Designing
Libraries Advisory Board:

Latimer, K. (2011). Collections to connections: Changing spaces and new
challenges in academic library buildings. *Library Trends, 60*(1), 112-133.
doi:10.1353/lib.2011.0035. Available at
https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/handle/2142/31864.

+ the Learning Space Toolkit  developed at North Carolina State U
(available at http://learningspacetoolkit.org), which has recently
completed an impressive new library, as well as a nice renovation.

You might also find it useful to browse the open access *Journal of
Learning Spaces, *available at http://libjournal.uncg.edu/jls

Hope this helps!

Sheila

--
Sheila Corrall
Professor and Chair, Library & Information Science Program

University of Pittsburgh
School of Information Sciences

Information Sciences Building, Room 605C
135 North Bellefield Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
412-624-9317, Fax: 412-648-7001
http://www.ischool.pitt.edu/people/corrall.php