Dear Mark,

I’m actually giving a talk on something pretty similar to this at a conference in Dubai next week entitled “Full Online Student Modules Feedback Questionnaire: Influential Capabilities on Intuitional Decision-making Processes”. I have attached the conference flyer just to let you see what’s being delivered/discussed.

In short, during the talk I’ll be mentioning about how we close the feedback loop by embedding action plans into the departmental  Annual Programme Reviews (APRs). Programme leaders are expected to comment on student feedback from various avenues and state any actions they intend to take in the coming academic year.

B 1

Student feedback

Please comment on any notable issues arising out of individual module feedback, staff-student liaison committee meetings, students’ responses to module questionnaires, exit questionnaires, as well as informal feedback obtained over the past year with regards to student satisfaction and support for learning.  Please also indicate what actions you have taken in response to this feedback. Any comments should be anonymized.

This may be the same for other UK HEIs but we find this is a good way of ensuring that feedback is being acted on as this information will be made available to External Examiners who can then use it as a tool to ensure departments have actually done what they said they would. They could do it by, for example, comparing year-on-year. The University Learning and Teaching Committee (ULTC) prepare a summary report of all APRs for the year with action points and these too are discussed at the ULTC and passed on to externals.

We use a particular software to capture student feedback on their modules and teachers each semester, and it allows for students to select their own teachers in a team-taught module and provide individual feedback. Sometimes they have two teachers on a 6-teacher-taught module as would be the case with for example EAP classes and they can select each one individually and offer feedback on each one.

Not sure if I am being helpful if not to you then maybe to the SEDA community but I hope so.

Best wishes

James

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. James M. Wilson (PhD, FHEA, FIfL),

Director, Academic Enhancement Centre,

Centre for Academic Affairs,

Office 1160B, Central Building,

Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU),

No.111 Ren'ai Road,

Dushu Lake Higher Education Town,

Suzhou Industrial Park, Jiangsu Province,

P R China 215123.

Phone: (0086) 0512-81880416

Mobile: (0086) 0512-13771927343

E-mail: [log in to unmask]