Well done, Lindsay, superb anecdote...

There's definitely a book out there for serendipitous conversations
changing HE. I remember as an undergrad, we got a new lecturer in the
department because a student met the VC at a 'do' and kept hassling him
about class sizes until he laughed and got rid of her by promising a new
post (which he kept his word on).

The class sizes were luxurious by today's standards, sigh...