Hello fellow Ramesesians,

I and other colleagues (Rebecca Hardwick, Mark Pearson and Richard Byng) are writing a paper about the complementarity (or otherwise) of realist evaluation and economic evaluation methods, with a view to proposing what a ‘realist economic evaluation’ might look like.  We are aware of one or two examples where researchers have explicitly attempted to use realist research approaches to address questions of cost-effectiveness/efficiency, or to explain the effectiveness of ‘economic interventions’.

Could you please let me know of any examples of:

1.       Realist evaluations explicitly seeking to explain the cost-effectiveness and/or cost/resource implications of particular interventions/programmes?

2.       Realist evaluations which revealed key intervention Mechanisms or key Contexts that were inherently economic or cost-related in some way?

3.       Any other publications that you think may me highly relevant to the topic of our paper?

Have good weekends all!

Thanks and kind regards,

Rob

Rob Anderson

University of Exeter Medical School

01392 726085

We are now Evidence Synthesis & Modelling for Health Improvement (ESMI)