There’s a good lesson. Now you know about the deadlines that communicators often face.

That was a good exercise on the part of your teacher. But never feel that you should take their assignments at face value.

Think of yourself as the “science editor” at BBC Radio 4. An arts graduate (sigh) news editor comes up with a dumb idea about a science piece that they read in the Daily Mail. (I am not making this up.) It is the science editor’s job to keep that sort of rubbish off the airwaves.

It doesn't do to say to said news editor, “Your idea is garbage”. What you do is to turn it around and present them with a version that you wouldn’t cringe at when you turned the dial. (Do radios still have dials?)

Of course, even if you had gone to “an expert” with the original story, they should have, possibly even did, point out the issues that the nit pickers here have raised.

The original idea was a good one. Look at books published and see if you can spot any gender issues. My own anecdotal evidence is that the gender balance in science writing is, or was, much better than it is in science itself. When I was in a position to influence that balance, it hovered somewhere around the 50:50 level, albeit it skewed in the seniority stakes. As in, men more senior than women, possibly because the men were older.

So, if writing books reflected that balance, there should have been a similar parity. That the books prize did not reflect that would certainly be news, were it the case. Which brings us back to the original point about evidence.

The one thing not to do was to emulate the BBC 4 Today programme’s truly execrable interview with Zaha Hadid when she was the first woman to be sole winner of the Stirling Prize. Somehow the dim witted (female) interviewer managed to get the facts all wrong and banged on about everything but her architecture and her achievements in a male dominated domain.

“Anger as Zaha grilled on BBC Today Programme | News | Architects Journal”

http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/anger-as-zaha-grilled-on-bbc-today-programme/8689413.article

MK