I can’t really speak to the potty & song situation, but I tend to agree with the comment about film/TV from lesser fiction (although I think Game of Thrones is a bit note complex, as I find the novels quite complex (& although I roy then series, I also continually note how it simplifies,to its loss, the novels).
I think that the problem arises most when a truly auteurist director takes on a fine fiction: 2 artistic creators at odds. I alway think back to McCVabe & Mrs Miller, a magnificent film based on a paperback original that probably provided little ore than a plot outline…

Doug
On Oct 5, 2015, at 2:59 AM, Roger Day <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Or it could be that if one is making a primarily musical piece, then the
> demands of the music should come first.
>
> I am more interested in matching mathematics with the words i.e. meeting
> the poetry half-way as it were. It might make for some interesting music.
>
> How do you rate Britten's treatment of Donne et al?
>
> BTB, one of my English teachers said that second-rate novels make better
> TV/film. I came to think of the work as more of a contested site. The
> better the novel, the stronger the feelings engendered when constructing a
> translation into a different genre. See any film or TV version of a Jane
> Austen novel and the Janeite hysteria that usually accompanies it.
>
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Lawrence Upton <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> Some years ago, I went to a conference on this and related matters at
>> Warwick, though memory details have fled; where David Harsent, speaking of
>> his collaboration with Birtwhistle, said – I hope I quote him fairly – that
>> the poet must expect his work to be altered by the compose because.the
>> composers' needs have priority
>>
>> I have no trouble him thinking that for himself and HB, consenting adults
>> and all that, but was put out by the idea that a pecking order might exist
>> for all of us with composers always on top....
>>
>> I'd been thinking about this quite a bit, though my notes, if I still have
>> them, are packed away. Two things such as they are I remember
>>
>> I am more or less appalled by Vaughan Williams treatment of On Wenlock
>> Edge. Housman was a rather midling poet; but he deserved better
>> and Purcell's Dido's Lament, and Purcell's  treatment in general of Nahum
>> Tate makes, to adapt a supposed remark of Beecham on Wagner, Tate sound a
>> lot better than he would sound on his own.

>> On 2 October 2015 at 12:47, Patrick McManus <[log in to unmask]
>>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Roger in my very umble umble experience there are levels of setting
>>> -sometimes a swish of drum/guitar  gentle accompaniment helps this aged
>>> performer at my local music club
>>> cheers P most ancient also I like the work of aslak vaalkapa (spelling? )
>>> aha Nils-Aslak Valkeapää, where nature is incorporated
>>> but I suppose we can enter into libretti (spelling ?0 end of thought -off
>>> to cafe for lunch feast!
>>>
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Roger Day
>>> Sent: Friday, October 2, 2015 12:26 PM
>>> To: [log in to unmask]
>>> Subject: Re: Lyrics etc
>>>
>>> Interesting note abt the Classical people.
>>>
>>> Looking at the scores of, say, Frank Bridge or Stravinski - or even the
>>> wilder shores of avante-garde composers - there's no reason why
>> "classical"
>>> composers could not produce a decent fit for any set of words they wanted
>>> to set to music without, as you say, torturing the syntax.
>>>
>>> I wrote my own words this time, and I had to do a little dance fitting
>> the
> [...]

Douglas Barbour

Recent publications: (With Sheila E Murphy) Continuations & Continuation 2 (UofAPress).
Recording Dates (Rubicon Press).

	Done in by creation itself.

I mean the gods. Not us. Well us too.
The gods moved into books. Who wrote the books?
We wrote the books. In whose dream, then are we dreaming?

		Robert Kroetsch.