Yes. I felt that compulsion. I lived for some years with a woman who seemed
to hate I M and all her works; it's taken me a while to shake off that
influence....
I am not that given to novels at the best of times.
I may give it a go then.

Just reread du Maurier Rebecca sitting day after day a beach. I was in a
mood for it as my train had gone through Par. Well, it has to if you go SW
I mean that I noticed Par going by.

A novel of hers called I think House of the Strand ranges around there.
It's a bit bonkers and that commends it to me; and then someone had left
Rebecca in the washroom of the campsite

Anyway, I read Rebecca and found that too is "a lot better than it
sounds"... the flavour isn't there really except by implication and that
seems to have scared Hitchcock; but that suggestion of something intangible
suits it quite well

Anyway more than a few days spent in front of the sea reminded me of the R4
play.

So, I shall give it a go. Robert Harris' 3rd cicero first.... I'm probably
a good-bad novel person

On 5 October 2015 at 15:56, Tim Allen <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It's one of the handful of Murdochs that I've read Lawrence and I found it
> a rather strange but quite compelling book. I heard the R4 adaptation too
> and all it did really was give a flavour.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tim
>
> On 5 Oct 2015, at 15:53, Lawrence Upton wrote:
>
> >  heard a R4 production of Iris Murdoch's The Sea, The Sea. I havent read
> > it and found almost everyone and thing in it a bit odd
> >
> > It stayed with me though but as it has stayed I have begun to think that
> > there must be a lot more to it than that. I got a story and suggestions
> of
> > subplots. I suspect it was greatly simplified.
> >
> > Generally, and we are I know some distance from Poetry or Music now, I'd
> > prefer a reading of the original. Ulysses was good and I say that though
> > don't much like Ulysses.

If you have received from me a bogus email offering passworded files, I do
apologise. It was not I; but I am sorry.
Just delete the horrid thing, please.
And please let me know if it happens again.
It shouldn't happen again but then it shouldn't have happened the first
time.Please blame gmail! and if you have dealings with British Gas and HSBC
and therefore have data about you on their system take heart from knowing
that they accepted that bogus email as reliable