Dear friends,
First let me apologize since I’m not writing in my native language. It takes me at least twice longer than you to make a post.
Well, I ‘m not interested in brain functioning, so I will drop this out. You can read the work of a compatriot of mine, António Damásio and be delighted.
Let’s see if I make myself clear:
1. Terry introduced an anecdote in which an “artist” has an argument with a scientist about a flower. The “artist” is produced by the scientist to make a point, since it is the scientist that tells the story. Putting a little bit of discourse analysis into this parable, what he is really saying is: Hierarchically Science comes first because, not only provide truthful explanations about what things are, but these explanations are not dull and - alike in art - are capable of inducing aesthetical thoughts, feelings, pre or post stuff in us. Feynmann adds an epilogue evoking insects and very low forms of life that may be compared with the idiot-of-the-village-artist expression of flower appreciation.
2. That’s the reason why I find important to distinguish between aesthesis as a process and Aesthetics, a field of inquiry that evolved to be a philosophical area studying Art. I must stress that I’m only saying this because the parable starts with an Artist commenting on something. Consequently, I’m not interested in exploring what aesthesis is in this case. I’m interested in dismembering the parable by saying clearly that an aesthetically appreciation of a flower by an artist is as dull, profound and revealing as a scientist’s and is not comparable with the joy of discovering microscopic beauties and insect's endearment.
3. No real Artist, at least in the 20th century, would say "I as an artist can see how beautiful this is but you as a scientist take this all apart and it becomes a dull thing”. Unless he/she wanted to be saddled and ridden for several hours…
Best wishes,
Eduardo