Dear Chuck and Eduardo,

The real issue here, for me, is what Baumgarten means by ³rational²
knowledge. We tend to forget the historic distinctions between rational
and empirical knowledge such that when we talk about the scientific method
we collapse them together such that initial empirical evidence (gained
through the senses in relation to observed phenomena in the real world) is
then sorted/organised/theorised using rationality. In Baumgaretnıs time,
rationality was chiefly treated as abstraction devoid of sensory content
and hence science was going nowhere fast.

The danger is that we treat aesthetics as the left over bits of sensory
knowledge that we donıt yet know how to be rational about. It is a lot
like tacit knowledge where the fact of the knowledge is treated as WOW
while the content of the knowledge is treated as secret.

Cheers

keith

On 20/10/2015 9:07 am, "PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD
studies and related research in Design on behalf of Charles Burnette"