Ken,

A thorough, appreciated and very thoughtful consideration.  As a somewhat
and only partially reconstructed visual thinker, I agree that:

On 10/8/15, 4:42 PM, "Ken Friedman" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Many research reports require images and illustrations. All research reports
> require narrative. This is because we need words to narrate the research
> metanarrative. The immediate narrative tells us about the project at hand. The
> metanarrative tells us how the project at hand functions within the larger
> frame of research in the field.

While one can, must and always does engage each and every work at hand
hermeneutically, bringing to bear on the exchange one's own repertoire
however formidable, an actual meeting of the two worlds as research still
requires the author's meta-narrative and justification.  And as Chuck always
ends his contributions,

or so I believe.

Thanks,

Jerry

--
Jerry Diethelm
Architect - Landscape Architect

    Prof. Emeritus of Landscape Architecture
           and Community Service € University of Oregon
    2652 Agate St., Eugene, OR 97403
    €   e-mail: [log in to unmask]
    €   web: http://pages.uoregon.edu/diethelm/
    €   https://oregon.academia.edu/JerryDiethelm

    €   541-686-0585 home/work 541-346-1441 UO
    €   541-206-2947 work/cell