I have had the same experience as Emma – I used to see poor lighting when the fad was single offices etc now the trend is large bright open plan offices with lots of glass lux that is too high is a familiar find. I saw a lovely trendy office designed by a well-known architect this year who did not design any blinds but floor to ceiling windows; the staff were squinting due to the glare – they now have blinds as lux was above 800. I use a multi-function environment meter for spot checking, reasonably priced as I recall.

I think the other aspect of building design that I see as problematic to visually impaired employees is motion sensor lighting, often quite dim and there is a delay between it going off and on.

Regards

Karen

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Emma Loi
Sent: 29 October 2015 13:44
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Light meters

Hi

As with Carr, it is our Health and Safety team that manage the light meter readings.  They use a 4 in 1 multi function environment meter (light, sound, temperature and humidity).  If the lighting checks are out then it is usually recommended that a proper lighting check is carried out by our facilities/property team.  Recently I went to see someone with a rare eye condition to carry out a workstation assessment.  Despite the electric light above the individual's desk being disconnected the light reading approximately 800 lux.  The blind was not fully down at this point.  When it was down the lux dropped to between 450 - 500 lux.  It's always worth considering reflective light as well as light bulbs.

Regards

Emma