First, I apologize for the cross-posting, but I wanted to cast a wide net
for this. I have a friend (a non-scholar) who was reading the Life of St.
Euphrosyne the Nun and raised some questions that I'm not sure I have the
answers to. St. Euphrosyne disguised herself as a eunuch named Izmaragdus
and joined a male monastery. In the Life, it mentions that the monks were
scandalized and tempted sexually by this young eunuch's beauty.

Among the questions my friend posed were:

   - At what point did monasteries put a stop to this kind of thing by
   requiring that a monk be able to grow a beard?
   - Have you heard stories (probably not going to be in the Lives of the
   Saints) where a woman disguises herself to enter a monastery but then she
   fell into temptation with another monk and was kicked out?

I gave the answers I could from memory, but I don't have a lot of my
resources handy here at work. I seem to remember the beard requirement
appearing as early as the Rule of St. Pachomios, but I could be wrong.

On the other question, such issues (not just of a woman disguised as a man,
but even monks engaging in homosexual behaviors) must have arisen or there
wouldn't have been explicit prohibitions in monastic Rules and in the
aphorisms of the Desert Fathers and that sort of thing, but I couldn't come
up with any specific stories off the top of my head.

Anyone have anything?

- Kurt