Hi everyone,

I am delighted to invite those who are currently conducting research and living in Rome and Lazio, to take part in the following two-day conference:

Emigration/Immigration in South Italy (1880/2015).

The conference will take place at the beautiful medieval castle of Minturno (nine stops by train from Roma Termini) on October 16-17 (5: 30 pm).
The event is open to everyone, and is free of charge.
The conference will include an award ceremony for the categories of poetry/essay/ writing and painting focused on the subject of Emigration/Immigration, and scholars, journalists and politicians will present papers to a wide audience.

My own talk (“Departures”: Italian intellectuals and mass emigration, 1880/2015) looks at Italian emigration to the US and Britain from 1880 to today, with particular emphasis on Fascism in Italian communities abroad. Existing volumes have explored the immigration of uneducated Italians, their professional involvements and political attitude towards Italy from the end of nineteenth century to the outbreak World War II. Some secondary literature together with my PhD, also offer information about the presence of Italian intellectuals in Britain during those years.
My presentation offers a systematic historical survey of both Italian intellectual and mass-emigration to Britain, starting with the anarchist emigration at the end of the 1800s and continuing up to the recent so-called ‘fuga di cervelli’ (‘brain drain’). It will include: 1) an outline of the features and differences of Italian intellectual and mass-emigration; 2) an emphasis on emigrants’ disappointment towards Italian economic and cultural policies as reasons for leaving the motherland, and 3) connections between immigrants in the British economy and local cultural circuits, between idealisation and reality.

I look forward to seeing you at the castle!

Best wishes,

Tamara
Dr Tamara Colacicco, Dottore di Ricerca in Italian Studie
Department of Modern Languages and European Studies
University of Reading (United Kingdom)
Whiteknights
RG
6 6AA
email: [log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]
follow Tamara Colacicco on Academia.edu and find out her books, academic articles, talks in conferences and much more https://reading.academia.edu/TamaraColacicco
Selected publications
“” Pecore bianche e pecore nere (Roma: Il mio libro, 2014);
“” Scoprì una notte la luna (Napoli: Monetti e Ragusa Editori, 2015);
“” L’emigrazione italiana in Inghilterra (The Italianist, 35, 1, 2015: 157-170)

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/italian-studies