Hi

I will be at the extremely exiting “SCD Finance Workshop” tomorrow so I won’t be able to attend.

There is something I would like to report as part of 2)

During the UK T0 meeting LOFAR mentioned how easy it was to use S3 (and other AWS) compared to Grid stuff*.  It was agreed shortly after the meeting that RAL would open up access to the S3 API backed by our new Ceph cluster.  Catalin has been using it (since HEPiX) for the testing the CVMFS stratum 1 stuff and has written ~2 million files (a few hundred GB) to the cluster.  It would be extremely useful if a few external (to RAL) people tested it as well (in the next few weeks) so we can ensure any firewall/network problems are solved before we let users on to it.  We decided not to provide a ‘dteam’ account for everyone to share, instead we will provide individual users accounts on requests.

If you want access to the RAL S3 instance, can you drop me an email.  We will probably setup default quotas of 100GB and 10 000 files.  This can be increased (especially if you want to do something interesting) upon request.  I should stress that this is a PRE-production service and hence we provide no guarantee on the resilience of your data.  Your data is being stored on new production quality hardware however we do not yet have significant experience running Ceph as a service.  At some point before April 2016, when we intend to declare the service production quality, we will be taking the entire cluster down for a major update and you WILL lose any data stored on the cluster.  We will try and give notice of this upgrade.

I also note that GridFTP to CEPH is on the agenda?  Has somebody been specifically asked to talk about this?  There are some “issue” with our plugin and I would appreciate the advice of something familiar with GridFTP.

Alastair

* They didn’t upload their talk to the agenda but I have a copy of it, if you want me to send it around.