FUNDING AVAILABLE FOR PHD STUDY IN GERMAN AT KING’S COLLEGE LONDON

The Department of German at King’s College London seeks well-qualified applicants for PhD projects beginning in September 2016. Applicants will be supported for full funding where applicable through the AHRC London Arts and Humanities Partnership. The Department of German at King’s has a strong cohort of PhD students with 7 new starters, four of whom are fully funded, in 2015/16 alone. The studentship competition for 2016 entry opens on 1 December 2015, and the deadline for submitting applications is midnight on 29 January 2016. Early applications are necessary for funded positions and we request that candidates contact the department as soon as possible. Full information can be found here: www.lahp.ac.uk<http://www.lahp.ac.uk/>.

The Department at King’s offers a research environment of exceptional quality: we were rated outstanding in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, and offer supervision by scholars of international standing across an unusually wide range of topics, from the medieval and Early Modern periods, through to contemporary culture (especially literature and film), politics and history. The Department runs a lively research seminar, as well as a tailored graduate programme that provides practical, methodological and theoretical training, alongside opportunities for teaching and outreach work for its students.

There are three routes for PhD studies in German at King’s:

1) PhD in German at King’s: Many of our students choose to base their doctoral study mainly in the UK, with the bulk of their time spent on a closely supervised project in the Department of German. Our current research students work in a broad range of fields including literary studies from the Medieval period to the present day; film and cinema studies; literary and cultural theory; theatre and performance studies, and the history of ideas.

2) Joint-PhD with the Humboldt University, Berlin: This bi-national PhD programme leads to the award of a Joint PhD and provides candidates with the opportunity to divide their PhD study between two prestigious universities in two dynamic capital cities, enjoying full supervision at both. Current research projects include studies on Queer Theory, the Modernist Novel, and multilingual German literature.

3) Joint-PhD with the University of Stuttgart/University of Paris, Sorbonne (Paris IV): This programme leads to the award of a Joint PhD, and provides candidates with the opportunity to divide their PhD study between two prestigious universities, enjoying full supervision at both. Current research projects include the internationalization of satire in Early Modern texts; history, translation and poetics in early 20th C. texts; the international reception of contemporary German bestsellers; the global dissemination of theories of totalitarianism; and the role of journals in the dissemination of poetics.

Enquiries about PhD study on any of the above programmes are welcomed – please contact the PhD Admissions Tutor Dr Áine McMurtry ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>; 020 7848 2167). Staff profiles, including research interests, can be found on our website here:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/depts/german/people/staff/academic/index.aspx

Dr Áine McMurtry
Reviews Editor: Austrian Studies
Department of German