Hi Matthieu,

Please see responses below:

On 8 October 2015 at 09:24, Matthieu Vanhoutte <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Dear Anderson,
>
> Thank you for your detailed answer.
>
> Please see below my questions.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Matthieu
>
> Le 08/10/2015 09:48, Anderson M. Winkler a écrit :
>
> Hi Matthieu,
>
> There are multiple ways to analyse repeated measurements data, but if some
> timepoints are missing, it can be difficult. You mention "for each single
> subject", so this means dropping a group analysis. Even that is difficult:
> permutations within subject with many timepoints aren't allowed (same
> reason we don't do for first level fMRI). Parametric tests could be
> considered, but FA data shows skewness (you could address with a data
> transformation, like probit), but the random field theory won't work easily
> with TBSS data.
>
> It is possible, however, to instead run fsl_glm and compute, for each
> subject, an image with the COPEs (in this case the same as the PEs, i.e.,
> the "betas" of the GLM) for, e.g., a linear trend. With multiple subjects,
> say A, B, C, D, etc. you'll have COPE_A, COPE_B, COPE_C, etc. which can be
> tested in a 1-sample t-test. Some of these will have 4 timepoints, some 5,
> some 6, etc, which means they cannot simply be shuffled in randomise, as
> their variances aren't the same (more visits, lower variances around these
> estimates).
>
> I really want to do separate longitudinal analysis on each subject
> independantly. Is this way you explained above allowing some kind of
> statistical analysis on one subject with several timepoints ?

As in the previous paragraph (the one that starts with "There are..."
parametric tests could be considered, but it is difficult to correct for
multiple testing using the RFT in TBSS data. Permutation tests cannot be
used for the same reason they aren't used for 1st level FMRI, i.e.,
permuting would destroy the temporal correlation.

> If this is the case, I don't see well how with fsl_glm to compute this
> COPE image for a subject ?  Is this linear trend gives some information of
> increase/decrease of FA with increasing time for one subject ?

The suggestion is to fit a linear model with a linear trend over time,
i.e., that FA grows or reduces linearly over time within subject. The
design would have timings of the scans in a single, mean-centered EV. Data
would also be mean-centered. Then take the slope of this linear fit (the
COPE) and see if, across subjects (group effect), it is significantly
different than zero. It can be done even with a different number of
timepoints (next paragraph).

> However, you can define one variance group (VG) for each set of subjects
> that have the same number of timepoints (i.e., one VG for subjects with 4
> visits, another for subjects with 5 visits, and so on), and use PALM with
> the options -vg and -ise (for independent and symmetric errors). This will
> compute a statistic that is robust to heteroscedasticity, in this case, the
> well known Aspin-Welch statistic.
>
> Do you mean that beyond the longitudinal single subject, I could make a
> group analysis with the few subjects (7 with 2 up to 4 timepoints) I have
> with PALM ?

Yes. The above approach is equivalent to whole-block sign-flipping if you
were to construct a single, large, univariate model encompassing all
subjects and all timepoints. But computing the COPEs with fsl_glm for each
subject is much simpler, and requires no explicit definition of
exchangeability blocks.

> If so, how to define each VG before launching PALM ?

Use a text editor. One line per subject in a single-column csv file. The
value for each subject can be simply the number of visits (the VG numbers
don't have to be sequential integers). So, if subject 1 had 5 visits, put 5
as his VG number. If subject 2 had 3 visits, put 3 as his VG number.

When running PALM, don't use the option -eb, but use the options -vg and
-ise.

All the best,

Anderson