Thank you Anderson
The reason that I don't want to use subtractions is because the design is
an event-related one and the signal is very week.
I have analysed using valence in FSL. I have used event type as valence in
my regressors. for example in my four regressors I have:
1- timing of block A with *valence=1* for Go (one of my event types)
and *valence=-1
*for Nogo.
2- timing of block A with *valence=1 *for Go (one of my event types) and
*valence=1* for Nogo.
3- timing of block B with *valence=1* for Go (one of my event types) and
*valence=-1* for Nogo.
4- timing of block B with *valence=1* for Go (one of my event types) and
*valence=1* for Nogo.

Then if I choose my contrasts as EV1-EV2 will I get what I want? how do you
see this method?

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Anderson M. Winkler <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Ashkan,
>
> I think Greg's suggestion is a sensible one. Why you'd like not to do
> subtractions?
>
> Also, it might help if you typed the names of the EVs in the email -- it's
> a bit difficult to read from the labels and be sure we are all talking
> about the same thing.
>
> Thanks.
>
> All the best,
>
> Anderson
>

> On 15 October 2015 at 09:26, Ashkan Faghiri <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> Thank you Greg for your answer,
>>
>> but I don't want to use subtraction. I am looking for a way to do this
>> with valence in fsl. dou you think my strategy is wrong?
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 5:55 PM, Greg Burgess <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ashkan,
>>>
>>> With your design, I would create eight 3-column EVs, with each EV coding
>>> the duration of the 'C' events within their respective 'B' block.
>>> i.e., Eight separate EVs for B1_C1; B1_C2; B2_C1; B2_C2; B3_C1; etc...
>>>
>>> Then, I would code different contrasts for the effects that you're
>>> interested in.
>>> B1_C1 - B1_C2: difference between C1 and C2 during B1 block
>>> B2_C1 - B2_C2: difference between C1 and C2 during B2 block
>>> (B1_C1-B1_C2)-(B2_C1-B2_C2): interaction of (C1-C2) difference as a
>>> function of block 1 versus block 2
>>>                       : just to be clear, this contrast would be coded
>>> [+0.5, -0.5, -0.5, +0.5, 0, 0, 0, 0]
>>>
>>> --Greg

>>> Greg Burgess, Ph.D.
>>> Staff Scientist, Human Connectome Project
>>> Washington University School of Medicine
>>> Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology
>>> Phone: 314-362-7864
>>> Email: [log in to unmask]

Ashkan Faghiri
MSc student of Bioelectrical Engineering
Department of Electrical Engineering
Sharif University of Technology