+353 1 6080428

From:	Larry Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
To:	[log in to unmask],
Date:	23/10/2015 17:52
Subject:	Re: Supporting Anna Shuttleworth
Sent by:	The Disability-Research Discussion List

"Rich descriptions etc", do tell us a lot, I wouldn't be using them if they
did not, however there are some things that also need to be tested by an
objective, methodical and rigorous process.  ABA has not been proven
through
replication by anyone who does not have either a cognitive bias in favour
of, or investment in the outcome, and the same can be said for FC.

I can give you a rich description of my one time false belief that a tree
in
our garden had originally been a Christmas tree, indeed I became rather
attached to that false memory in my childhood, however I later came to the
logical conclusion, that given the species of the tree, certainly not a
spruce or anything ever sold as a Christmas tree, that my false belief had
been engendered by my parents telling porkies once upon a time, when I
became upset that the Christmas tree had been taken down

What any of this has to do with the case in question, I do not know.  FC is
testable by science, it is testable by objective criteria, and as in the
case of my Christmas tree fable, a most likely scenario can be recovered by
examining the facts rather than going with ones emotions.

What some are supposing so far as I can see in this case, is a kind of
group
support for one of one's own,  academics supporting a fellow, and also some
suggestion that the two parties to this have been denied a meaningful
relationship because a cold hearted judge has been bamboozled by nasty
scientists who conflate IQ with communicative ability and thus deny agency
to those who cannot demonstrate consent.

That is not true either. There is clear wrong in this case. If Stubblefield
had have been committed to DJ to the degree that is claimed, she should
have
stepped back as the sole facilitator.

FC was not on trial, ABA was not on trial, and certainly Autism was not on
trial, what was on trial was the ethics of a professional ethicist whose
personal ethics seemed at odds with her profession of them in an academic
capacity. In other words something was unreal here.

Larry