Whilst it is usually considered both polite and politic to express ones like of something, it can be both rude and impolitic to express the opposite even if that is what one feels at the time. I have longstanding issues with the field of disability studies and DSQ that go beyond this particular incident, and making friends is not what it is about.

Returning the current spark, for this impolitic confession, what is at stake now, is not Stubblefields future, or integrity, nor DSQ’s but DJ’s for what is being done now to enhance his communication skills, if anything at all.  It is not a case of FC or nothing at all. Stubblefield has done a lot more lasting harm.

I remember once being entertained as a guest by a couple who communicated by alphabet board, nothing more sophisticated as this was some time before the widespread availability of technological alternatives. Both of them had cerebral palsy and neither was facilitating the other. They were living in institutional care.

At times of severe stress I have communicated by laptop. At one time where my liberty depended upon the outcome of the communication being sufficiently convincing to psychiatric professionals. For why? Because I could edit what I said, as well as introduce a pre prepared narrative, whilst my speech was very difficult to produce under those conditions.

Facilitated communication is neither of those things.

I had a GP who was struck off for persuading a psychiatric patient under his care to carry out an act of oral sex with him. His defence …. “It was only a bit of fun”  The person in question may well have verbally consented at the time, but obviously at a later date felt that the act should not have taken place as it was not on equal terms but an abuse of power and privilege.

The GP was well liked and respected, but the act was indefensible.

On another occasion, for convenience, I allowed a policeman to write a statement for me and I signed it, however that cannot be taken for consent for what was written, it was a trick statement and I was under duress.

Things are not always as they seem.

Larry