Dear Colleagues,

I have quietly refrained from participating in the two recent brawls on the
SDS and DS-HUM listservs, but it has been tiring and upsetting to read
dozens to hundreds of angry posts by the same people who have appointed
themselves as spokespersons for the field. While I have very much
appreciated the lively debates on Disability Studies LISTSERVS over the past
decade (compared to my home field, where everyone agrees or self-censors),
these recent threads are undermining the scholarly integrity that our
predecessors worked so hard to establish. The argumentation has been rigid
and poorly executed with little to no attempt to appreciate valid
opposition. Many posts have been rude, disrespectful, and unprofessional by
any measure. The exchange has been embarrassing and unproductive, the worst
type of academic polemic. This is all happening at a time in DSQ's history
when good news is abundant (i.e., new editorial leadership) and we should be
celebrating the prospects of our future rather than destroying ourselves.

To the LISTSERV moderators: please consider implementing the unwritten
"pizza" rule to terminate threads when they become ugly and personal, and
when one or two people decide to dominate the conversation and represent the
entire readership or field of Disability Studies. I do not support
censorship, but that should never be an excuse to defame people and make our
field look terrible. It has gotten way out of hand.

To the few people appointing yourselves as representatives of SDS, DSQ,
Disability Studies, and so forth: please stop. Try to be more prudent,
particularly in extremely sensitive cases where there are multiple, valid
sides to an argument (or, perhaps, no valid sides), and please do not
promote your narrow-minded viewpoints as consensus.

Sincerely,

John Derby

Assistant Professor, The University of Kansas

Proud SDS member, proud author of several DSQ articles, and proud DSQ
editorial review board former member . I'd like to keep it that way