From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Owen Thomas
Sent: 18 September 2015 15:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Audit log entries - personal data?

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but the SAR right includes the right "...to be given  by the data controller a description of ... the recipients or classes of recipients to whom they are or may be disclosed"

I would argue that 'disclosure' cannot be confined to being an active handover of data and that anyone accessing electronic patient records and learning something new is having information disclosed to them.

I would argue that whether information is freely given to someone or is pulled out of a database by them is dancing on the head of a pin and that information in audit logs does fall within the scope of the SAR, as while log data isn't necessarily the Data Subject's personal data, it is clearly information falling within Section 7(1)(b)(iii) - even if (in the event) it is considered desirable to substitute job titles for names.

Owen

O Thomas
Information Governance Officer
Law & Governance
Commercial & Corporate Services Directorate Sunderland City Council

       leave data-protection to [log in to unmask] All user commands can be found at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/commandref.htm