Dear all,

Following the announcement that the abstract deadline has been extended for the upcoming AAG in San Francisco (March 29th - April 2nd 2016) we thought we would advertise for one more paper to join our sessions on the Geographies of Gender and Generation. We do have space for one additional paper to join our second session on this theme, and if interested - please provide us with an abstract by next Friday (6th November). We will inform the successful author by the following Monday to leave sufficient time to register for the conference.

As a reminder, we're delighted to announce that Professor Peter Hopkins will act as a discussant for the sessions.

Call for Papers
Association of American Geographers <http://www.aag.org/cs/annualmeeting>
San Francisco, 2016
Geographies of Gender and Generation
Dr Anna Tarrant, School of Sociology and Social Policy, University of Leeds
Dr Michael Richardson, School of Geography, Politics and Sociology, Newcastle University
The aim of this session is to explore the geographical significance of issues of gender and generation. Much recent geographical research, focusing on key areas such as masculinities and place (Gorman-Murray and Hopkins, 2014; van Hoven and Hörschelmann, 2005), geographies of childhood and intergenerational spaces (Vanderbeck and Worth, 2015) and family geographies (i.e. Valentine 2008; Harker and Martin 2012), has considered the interrelationships of gender and generation, but their significance as a combined analytic tool have yet to be explicitly acknowledged and taken forward as a research agenda. We therefore seek papers that reflect on theoretical and/or methodological innovation through employing both gender and generation as key geographical concepts. We suggest that such a focus could reinvigorate geographical thinking about the processes and complexities of intergenerational (in)justice and gender inequalities in a global, neoliberal context.
Key questions that papers might address include: how do particular kinds of spaces and spatial arrangements (e.g. cities, neighbourhoods, institutions, families and leisure sites) facilitate and limit gendered and generational contact and encounters? What processes and spaces influence the transmission of gendered and generational values and beliefs? In what ways are gendered and generational separation and segregation significant drivers in social change? How do gender and generational expectations influence dependencies and interdependencies in different cultural contexts?
We invite papers focusing on a range of global contexts, which have a theoretical, empirical and/or methodological focus. Papers with a commitment to feminist methods, theories and praxis are particularly welcomed. Topics may include, but are not limited to:

  *   Intersections of gender, generation and place, including the effects of other key social divisions (age, race, ethnicity, religion and class etc),
  *   Intergenerational approaches to researching people’s lives,
  *   Innovative conceptualisations of age, generation and life course,
  *   Methodologies for understanding social and generational change,
  *   Negotiating generational difference and processes of cultural assimilation,
  *   The spatio-temporal dynamics of life course transitions,
  *   Family geographies and research within and across households.

Offers of papers (including titles and abstracts of no more than 250 words) should be sent to Anna Tarrant [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or Michael Richardson [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by Friday 6th November 2015. Successful applicants will be contacted by Monday 9th November 2015 and will be expected to pay the registration fee and submit their abstracts online at the AAG website by the extended deadline of 18th November.
Selected references
Gorman-Murray, A. and Hopkins, P. (2014) Masculinities and Place, Ashgate: Farnham.
Harker, C. and Martin, L. (2012) Guest Editorial. Familial relations: spaces, subjects, and politics<https://www.dur.ac.uk/geography/staff/geogstaffhidden/?mode=pdetail&id=7668&sid=7668&pdetail=68659>, Environment and Planning A, 44: 768 – 775.
Valentine, G. (2008) The Ties that Bind: Towards geographies of intimacy, Geography Compass, 2 (6): 2097-2110.
van Hoven, B. and Hörschelmann, K. (2005) Spaces of Masculinities, Routledge: London.
Vanderbeck, R. and Worth, N. (2015) Intergenerational Spaces, Routledge; London.

Dr Michael J Richardson

Lecturer of Human Geography

School of Geography, Politics and Sociology

Newcastle University

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/gps/staff/profile/michael.richardson#tab_profile

*New Publication* Goodall, K., McKerrell, S., Markey, J., Millar, S.R. and Richardson, M.J. (2015) Sectarianism in Scotland: A 'West of Scotland' Problem, a Patchwork or a Cobweb? Scottish Affairs, 24(3): 288-307 http://www.euppublishing.com/journal/scot