Continuing Conversations: Strategies for the Promotion of Positive Mental Health in the Academy.

Call for papers: AAG 2016 Annual Meeting, San Francisco 29 March - 2 April 2016

 Session Organisers: Linda Peake (York University, Toronto), Beverley Mullings (Queen’s University, Kingston) and Kate Parizeau (University of Guelph, Guelph).

In this session we wish to advance the conversations initiated at the AAG and the CAG in the last two years to explore specific strategies for changing the practices and cultures implicated in the current crisis of mental health among students, faculty and staff across university campuses. We invite papers by educators, administrators and researchers on specific strategies to improve mental wellbeing in the academy such as: rethinking the steps towards a geography degree; addressing mental health in fieldwork; instigating slow scholarship; rethinking work-life balance; instituting a feminist ethics of care; de-neoliberalizing the academy; and engaging difficult conversations, such as racism in academic life.

Submission process: abstracts of no more than 250 words to be submitted by 25th October 2015, to Linda Peake ([log in to unmask]).

We will notify contributors of acceptance by 1st November. Please note that all accepted contributors will need to register for the AAG conference at aag.org.

Professor Linda Peake

Director,
The City Institute, York University

Urban Studies Program, Department of Social Science,

Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies,

Kaneff Tower 731,
 York University, 4700 Keele Street,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3J 1P3

Tel: 1 (416) 736 2100 x 33750

Fax: 1 (416) 736 5615

Email: [log in to unmask]

able to guarantee a response within the same working week.