*Apologies for cross posting. If any supervisors have PhD students off list who may be interested we would be grateful if you could pass this on*

Call for Papers

RGS-IBG Postgraduate Forum Mid-Term Conference

Department of Geography, Newcastle University, 17th-18th March 2016

Abstract submission deadline: 27th November 2015

The organisers of the annual RGS-IBG PGF Mid-Term Conference, next year to be held at Newcastle University, warmly invite submissions for 2016’s conference on the 17th and 18th of March. We invite postgraduate researchers from all areas of geography, however broadly defined or conceived, and at any stage of their research, to submit an abstract to present a paper or poster at the conference. The Mid-Term is a fantastic opportunity for all postgraduate students to present their current work and research to their peers in a friendly and supportive environment. Whether you’re a first time presenter, are looking for friendly feedback on early results or a draft paper, or want an opportunity to practice and enhance your presenting skills, this event aims to foster a relaxed and informal space to discuss your research amongst your postgraduate peers.

The conference will take place at the Research Beehive at Newcastle University over two days on the 17th and 18th of March 2016. Please send an abstract of no more than 250 words along with four keywords, your full name and university, and your intention to present a poster or paper to [log in to unmask] by no later than Friday 27th November.

The conference is designed to cater specifically to the professional development needs of the UK’s postgraduate community. The conference will feature three workshops on publishing research in academic journals; on developing cross-cultural and inter-disciplinary research techniques; and finally on generating both academic and non-academic impact; and a number of keynotes will be given by established academics at Newcastle and beyond. Finally, the conference dinner will take place on the evening of the 17th of March at the Copthorne Hotel on Newcastle’s vibrant Quayside and will be included in the registration fee. Together these events will constitute a perfect opportunity for postgraduate researchers to develop both personal and professional working relationships with their peers from across the country.

We have a limited number of supported places available at the conference for those students who are self-funded and/or whose funding package does not include provision for conference fees. Please email us either before or when you submit your abstract if you would like to be considered for this and we will provide further advice and information. Information on how to register will be announced in the coming weeks.

For updates follow us on Twitter @RGSmidterm2016, and if you’ve any questions about any aspects of the conference please get in touch with at [log in to unmask] and we will be happy to help. Finally, please refer to our website at www.pgf.rgs.org/mid-term-conference-2016-main for further information and updates concerning all aspects of the conference.

Kind Regards,

Wilbert den Hoed, Sonja Felder, Graham Gaunt, Matthew Scott, and Maddy Thompson

RGS-IBG Postgraduate Forum Mid-Term Conference 2016 Organising Committee at Newcastle University