Just a quick point of clarification/correction, and two broader points on this thread:

1) The American Academy of Religion did not cancel its 2014 annual meeting. That meeting was held in San Diego, with nearly 10,000 attendees. This year's AAR meeting will be in Atlanta, and at least 6 future conferences have been scheduled, with no cancellations announced.

2) The first broader point is that scholars gather together for a reason. If individuals don't want to do that, for whatever reason (feelings of guilt for burning fuel, feelings of guilt for extramarital opportunities, etc.), no one is forcing them to. The options of telecommuting into a conference could and should be expanded -- though, of course, that would turn conferences even more into the kinds of things most of us dislike about them, i.e., that they're just a way for academics to add a line to their CVs, not truly a way to communicate, engage, organize, etc.

3) The second broader point is that there are social and ecological costs to all the moving around that we do -- flying, driving, taking vacations in warm destinations, carrying out fieldwork in locales around the world, etc. -- and that a more localistic, home & place based, "small is beautiful" society may arguably be a more socially and ecologically sustainable one than our highly global and mobile society. That seems a very *geographical* argument to me, so it makes sense that geographers should be at the forefront of questioning traditions and habits and debating other options (as they have been). For instance: should we, as a society, move, commute, migrate, tour, and travel less? What kind of redesign of our communities and our geographic habits would that entail? How would it differentially affect social groups and classes? How would it affect our capacity to continue our work as scholars, as teachers, as activists? Would replacing fuel-based travel with telecommunication result in any real gains, or would it simply reproduce the same problems on other levels (new forms of pollution and waste, new resource conflicts, new forms of surveillance, secrecy, hoarding of wealth, etc.)? At what point might localism lead to a resurgence of the very parochialisms that our discipines were intended to counter?

Surely there's a conference theme in there somewhere. :-)

Best,
Adrian Ivakhiv