I have some disagreements with your characterisation of the situation.
Not all software development is done in the author's "spare time," it is
sometimes supported by grants. Moreover, most software which is
available has been described in publications. If the software becomes no
longer available, should the publications be necessarily withdrawn?

-MMiPMW

All Things Serve the Beam
                                David J. Schuller
                                modern man in a post-modern world