Dear all

as we start a new term, a few items of note from BUCNI.

News: we have a new exciting screen for visual presentation (BOLD). If you are visually minded, ask for details. (Preferably from Marty, Tessa, or Sam, who actually know something about visual presentation, unlike, for instance, Fred).

— Operator and user training:  as per usual, we will be having regular safety training (user) and operator refresher sessions this term. Please keep an eye out for them, and check on your status online to see if you’re due one.

— Next safety training is 25th Nov at 4PM - so sign up with Jeannette if you want to join in.

— Project presentations (organized by Sam Schwarzkopf) will also be scheduled, with the relevant forms and information on the BUCNI webpage.

— Non-standard equipment:  Note that if you are thinking of using non-BUCNI equipment, new equipment has to be tested and approved before scanning can start so that we make sure it’s safe and truly MRI compatible. Please allow 6 weeks minimum for project approval process in these cases.

— Behavioral testing and booking of scanner time: testing rooms at the other end of the corridor are available for signup, and are pretty well sound-insulated and so on.  If you are planning on using the BUCNI reception or changing/locker room for testing/debriefing/preparation, please note that the group that has booked the scanner also has booked the entire suite. So if you are thinking of going in early to start up/get participants ready/whatever and someone else has booked the scanner for that time, please ask them if that’s OK. (Often it is!). This is especially important when clinical or developmental studies are in progress.

 — Info for operators:  1) when shutting down the magnet for the evening, please bring the bed out to home position and lower just slightly. Notionally this should reduce difficulties at startup.  2) The Cogent computer is kept off the Ethernet so that there aren’t unfortunate Windows update requests during experiments or virus spreading. Sorry that this is a bit of a pain, but better not to have update windows and nasty viruses ruin your experiments. 3) Evidently a lot of sportswear now has silver in it as an antibacterial agent. This could potentially cause RF heating. Please watch for this a bit, and discourage participants from coming to BUCNI in their sporty togs.  We also have BUCNI-themed MR regalia for your use (tracksuit bottoms and tops, tshirts, etc).

That is it for now - happy scanning,

BUCNI

To leave the list, go to http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=bucni&A=1.