Dear Mark,

Thank you for your email. It's great to hear that the BSA wants to support early career sociologists. Honestly I think all of the things you listed would be appealing, though as I'm currently arranging a conference, additional potential sources of funding to apply to would be very beneficial (I have applied to the BSA event fund). Further, I think there could be space for specific guidance on different ways to make the most of a postdoc. Events looking at topics such as the process of turning one's PhD thesis into a monograph, and the various (relatively under-emphasized at the postgrad level) processes of finding funding and writing funding bids.

Thanks,

Ben Vincent

From: BSA Early Career Forum List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Mark Doidge <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2015 8:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: BSA support for Early Careers

Hi all,

At the last BSA Advisory Group (formerly the Council), the BSA generously announced that they would like to do more to support Early Career Sociologists. They are open to ideas. What sort of support would you like?

Some suggestions are:
More workshops
Financial support
Mentoring
REF discussions

This list is not exhaustive, so please can you email me with your suggestions and I will collate them to take back to the BSA trustees.

Kind regards

Mark

Dr Mark Doidge

Senior Research Fellow
BSA Early Career Forum Convenor

School of Sport and Service Management, University of Brighton
Darley Road, Eastbourne, BN20 7UR

email: [log in to unmask]
tel:
+44 (0)1273 643897