Are you in Spain yet Peter? Is it safe to come out?

Well, my original comment/reaction was immediate and kneejerk, I admit that - and yes, angry, no doubt about it. I think there is a place for visceral reactions. My second comment, the 'slush compacted into just the right form' one was a descriptive stage further, but yes, I agree, hardly an 'argued opinion' as you put it. It wasn't meant to be. There are two things however in your post below that are not true -1. I do not write things like that and then expect to be treated as an authority (this subject needs a separate post to answer really) and 2 I certainly do not expect any poetry that is not 'experimental' to be dishonest. That is ridiculous. There is an issue with the authentic/artificial polarity that is relevant when talking about different poetics but not in this blunt way.

Why, you ask, can I not find a way of getting the congeniality of my own experimental writings into my view of the poetry world. Well thanks for the word 'congeniality', I like that, but I do not actually consider my work to be experimental, even though it gets called that sometimes. But as i've said here innumerable times before, I don't have an issue with it. The answer to the question though is obviously that writing poetry and commenting on the scene are two entirely different exercises.

Not sure about trying to back-up my negative reaction with reference to specific detail, particularly about the poem you mention. I know the lady, or used to, back in the south-west, and have had clashes with her in the past, each down to my expressing certain opinions. But I'll think about it.

Have a good time in Spain - thunder and lightning downpours there I think.

Cheers

Tim

Off to get the grandkids from school now