Peter, neither David Bircumshaw or me have anything to do with Cambridge, but you know this. i should think David is foaming at the mouth to be linked to them. I'm not, I think I'd quite like people to think I went to Cambridge and not just to Trent Park College of Education.

I never mentioned your inclusion on the Forward list because I think it's enough to deal with one prickly question at a time, especially as only the day before you said here that prizes have nothing to do with poetry - so yes, I thought, ummm, what does Peter think then? shall I ask him, no, let's just see what comes up - nothing came up. Yes it's bloody good to see your name there and yes I've read the representative poems of which (not crawling, honest, just pawing the ground a bit) yours is light years.... Oh I can't say it, it's embarrassing.

A couple of years ago when my mate Steve Spence got his book shortlisted for the Forward we had a right laugh about it, and so did he, but we were all genuinely pleased, not just for him, but for the fact that a poetry such as his had broken through that barrier. It was a piece of rubbish that won it of course, but, you know, tiny steps...

Cheers

Tim